The prayer shawl I started to make for the mother of my son's dear friend who passed away is done. I think I must have had lightening in my fingers to get it done so quickly. It is made with Rylie by Hikoo yarn, an alpaca/silk/linen blend in the color Driftwood, and a size I hook. I wanted it big and full of air, yet comfortable to place around her shoulders when she needs a good hug. I tried to put loving thoughts into this shawl with every stitch of the 550 yards that went into making it. But seriously how can you even begin to place all of your love and blessings into a shawl for a woman who just lost her son? A young man that will be dearly missed by so many including my entire family. As I said in my last post at least this is something I can do. I can donate to the charity they want us to use in honor of him, I can make sure my oldest is moving through this deep pain and grief without getting stuck in the pain of loss. And I can make something with my hands just to let her know I am thinking of her and sending her love. I will drop this off at her house next weekend when they will be back from California and all the services for their son. There was one with the navy, the one my son and his friends went to for his ashes and now another one on the ship he was stationed on. In April there will be another service here in Clearwater where the rest of his ashes will be placed in the Gulf of Mexico. Then things get hard don't they? No more gatherings and services, just trying to get back to some sort of a life without their boy in it.
Before making the prayer shawl for Mary I made this shawl for my friend Joy. I had just finished it when we got the news about my son's friend. I taught Joy to knit years ago but it did not stick with her. She works with pastels and watercolors and is very talented. She is going through a rough separation from her husband and I thought she could use a hug, too. Joy gave me this yarn to do whatever I wanted with. She loves this color so I decided to make her a shawl. Both shawls are made with the wonderfully easy Elise Shawl pattern I have made a thousand times before. It is now a classic in my book, easy but makes something so beautiful. Made with Berroco Pure Pima yarn, which has been discontinued, four skeins used to make this shawl, a total of 460 yards, and a size H hook. I hope she likes what I did with her donated yarn.
Luna Tuna my granddog was visiting here two weekends ago while Mr 22 and my husband took a quick trip to Kansas City. Mr 26 was supposed to go to but well he had just heard the news about his friend and was in no mood to travel. It is just as well because I could keep an eye on him at home and make sure he was doing okay. Young people have a way of doing really stupid things when they are deeply upset, so my Mom radar was on high alert. Thankfully he just wanted to be quiet and be alone, I can handle that as long as I know he is okay. This weekend he has spent in Jamaica with his girlfriend. It was their Christmas present to each other, I know it will be so healing for him to just get away and be in a beautiful place.
And just so you don't forget this guy, here he is in a shirt Mr. 22 brought back from Orlando for him. UCF is where Mr. 22 graduated from last summer and his girlfriend will graduate from this summer. It is always fun to get a present from your brother. And by the way Little Buddy has been pretending he is a sloth and testing my patience because he is already pretty slow in the movement and listening department. He moves slow, speaks slow, nods his head slow, and even gave me a thumbs up in super slow motion. Lord give me strength!








0 Yorumlar